Monday, July 14, 2008

Psalm 131

As time for our shop opening is getting closer I have been struggling with our lack of funds to get everything completed. It seems like every morning I have been getting a little anxious and then I remember to pray thru Philippians 4:6-8 and God has been faithful to bring peace. I feel kind of bad that this has been a morning by morning thing for me, like “where is my faith Lord?” but He is gracious and patient and on Friday I felt like He really blessed me in my morning devotions.

LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern
myself with great matters, nor with things too profound for me.
2 Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with his mother; Like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3 O Israel, hope in the LORD From this time forth and forever.
NKJV

At first I was a little mystified by this Psalm (tell me I'm not the only brick in the kingdom please). I didn't understand why David used a weaned child to be his example of hope and trust in great and profound matters. It seems like a nursing child is the better picture of being totally and completely dependent. So I asked the Lord what was being communicated here? He reminded me:
  • A weaned child is no longer drinking milk.
  • A weaned child has grown a bit and is no longer a baby.
  • A weaned child is ready for more solid food.
  • A weaned child has seen the faithfulness of his mother and should be able to trust her as she introduces more challenging things, like meat.

Slowly I started to understand that He was telling me that I was the weaned child, that I have grown and am ready for more challenging things. He reminded me of His faithfulness and provision in the past that has met all my needs so far. His direction for me is:

  • to calm down and quiet my soul
  • not worry about great and profound things that I cant understand
  • put my hope in Him because he is faithful

God is so good. I wanted to share this with you guys so you can be encouraged like I was.
Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Denise said...

I am so thankful you are my pastor, you encourage me daily to believe...