Friday, December 19, 2008

Does God give us more than we can handle?

This last 30 days has been very tumultuous for us. We have been as close to quitting the ministry as we have ever come and seen the wonderful blessing of our God. 2 Cor 1:8-11 says:

For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. 9 Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead, 10 who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us, 11 you also helping together in prayer for us, that thanks may be given by many persons on our behalf for the gift granted to us through many. NKJV

If anything describes how I was feeling this last month, it was that. Though I am sure our experiences were nothing compared to the stress and anxiety Paul and his friends must have been feeling when he wrote this. Still, I am thankful that God allowed it, for I know the truth now; and I know from experience how to live thru a difficult time.

As I shared with a few close friends about what was going on I heard over and over "Don't worry, God will not give us more than we can handle." I even quoted that to myself and to God as I prayed. One morning I heard God tell me "Is that what I said?" So I had to go scrambling back to the Word and check it out. Actually 1 Cor 10:13 says:

13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. NKJV

DOh! It said that God will not allow me to be tempted beyond what I am able. With a little more research I found that there is no promise anywhere in scripture that says God will not give us more than we can handle. Which makes sense because If He only gave us situations we could handle, we would never turn to Him. God uses the overwhelming things to drive us to the end of ourselves and into His arms.

Here are a few links, that say this much better than I can. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/indexqid=20071204203240AAIyoTn
http://wadeallen.blogspot.com/2008/01/more-than-i-can-handle.html
http://myderbe.wordpress.com/2006/12/12/giving-us-more-than-we-can-handle/

Its nice to know God was teaching me thru my trial... He is to be praised!

1 comment:

Betty Townsend said...

Denise did not mention any of this when we talked the other day. Your last paragraph says it all. PTL!! How boring would our walk with Him be if there was always smooth sailing along the way. Keep your eyes on the SON!! We continue to lift you and Denise up. Love you much!